All of the components of a Sway are given unique names, so it’s helpful to know them to understand the process.
A “Storyline” is a place where you will compose your work. Each item created is applied to the Storyline, much like adding subcategories to a category. The content that is applied to the Storyline lives within Cards. These cards appear in consecutive order and house all items that appear in your story. In the edit screen, the Storyline section is on the right side, while card options are on the left by default. Keep in mind that the order of the cards can always be sorted based on your needs.
Create a title card
- Click Create new from the home page.
- On the automatically generated card, input a title in the Title your Sway field.
- Choose to bold or italicize the title or add a link. (optional)
- Click on Background to select a background image.
- Click on an image category displayed to the left of the storyline, or click on My Device or Onedrive for Business to upload your own image.
- You can also enter search terms in the search field to display image results from Bing. Click on an image and then click add to insert or click and drag the image onto the card.
- Click on the + icon at the bottom left corner of the card to complete working on it and begin another.
Create a content card
Below each card, Sway will display additional options for the new card, including:
- Heading — Creates another title card, used to indicate the beginning of sections. It can also give a header for a card containing content.
- Text — Creates a card to display information.
- Image — Allows you to insert an image into a card.
- Insert from my device — Enables images and other files to be uploaded.
Add text to a card
- From the previous card, click on the +.
- Click on text.
- Type in the text that you want to display or copy and paste from another source.
- Use the editing items in the toolbar above the text entry field to emphasize (bold), accent (italicize), convert to bulleted or numbered list, or add a link (either the actual link address or hyperlinked text displayed).
- Click on the + icon to create a new card.
For easy text input options, you can use the “Insert from my device” option to upload the text from a Word document into a new card. The document name is automatically added as a header or title, and the remaining text is added to the text card.